If you’re ready to freshen your breath the right way, all you have to do is develop the right habits. Here are five habits you can create to improve the smell of your breath.
- Brush your teeth at least twice per day. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that you should be brushing at least twice per day. Brushing will help improve bad breath by removing odor-causing particles of food and plaque.
- Floss between your teeth at least once per day. Alongside its suggestion to brush twice daily, the ADA suggests that you floss at least daily. Flossing can dislodge debris that may create plaque- and bacteria build-up, which lead to the development of mouth odors.
- Scrape or brush your tongue with a scraper. Ever heard of tongue scrapers? These devices scrape away odor-causing bacteria from your tongue. While we do recommend tongue scrapers, scraping your tongue with your toothbrush can often create the same effect.
- Rinse with mouthwash on occasion. While mouthwashes can destroy bacteria and mask your breath, they do so only for a short time. Because mouthwash isn’t a permanent solution, you’ll have to continue brushing and flossing if you want to truly address halitosis.
- Visit our office at least twice per year. Sometimes there’s no substitute for a proper oral exam and cleaning. At our office, Dr. Lisa K. Attaway specializes in treating halitosis. Schedule an appointment with our team at Family Dentistry of Rockwall in Rockwall, Texas, by calling 972-772-3900 now.